Welcome!

This blog was created as part of a master's level Assistive Technology course offered through Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. I hope the information presented on this site can assist you in providing access to information for your students.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

Math Webinar

I love to teach math, it is my favorite subject to teach!  I had two students this year that really struggle with math.  One was eventually diagnosed with a non verbal learning disorder.  I wish I had been using the ipad apps in my classroom this year.  I think those two students could have made significant progress using some of the apps, especially the ones that had spatial applications.   I especially liked the Symmetry Shuffle for teaching slides, flips and turns.  I always find that quite a few of my students struggle with transformational geometry.  I can't wait to use the clock apps and the money apps with my own kids.  We just need to add to the app that you really can't buy much for 5 cents anymore!   I also think that the Pizza Fractions and Lobster Diver could come in very useful in my grade five classroom.  I could see my students being very motivated by these apps.

http://linfield5.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/SymmetryShuffleIcon-300x300.png 
http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/014/Purple/0b/ac/ca/mzi.fjqdvdwu.350x350-75.jpg 

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/042/Purple/94/bb/4a/mzl.gnjxmcjy.320x480-75.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, I share your love of teaching math! I was interested in seeing the apps that you liked since you teach in the elementary setting. There were many of these apps that I didn't find useful at the junior high level, but felt they would be excellent for the elementary level! I also really liked the Pizza Fractions app! I would definately use that one in my class. One that you mentioned that you liked was the Symmetry Shuffle. I liked the idea of this app, but I thought it was confusing! :)
    I also had a student a couple of years ago that was diagnosed with a non-verbal learning disability, and only wish that I had learned about all of these apps so I could have given him the tools to be more successful!

    ReplyDelete