Welcome!

This blog was created as part of a master's level Assistive Technology course offered through Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. I hope the information presented on this site can assist you in providing access to information for your students.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

My Apple Journey

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Apple_logo_Think_Different.png

OK...so here's the scoop...I have a mac and on the weekend all I heard about was all the problems that people had downloading Kurzweil....and that it took 12 hours etc.  So I thought, well, I will just have to share someone's computer in class on Monday.  So Monday morning rolls around and I am feeling really guilty because I did not try to download it.  So I sign up for the free download and it took like 10 minutes!  I couldn't believe it!  Yeah mac!  Three years ago it was time for my family to purchase a new home computer.  My husband kept insisting on buying a mac.  I was totally against it, because I had always used a pc, and I knew I was the techi in our home, and not much of a techi at that.  So I finally relented, and said, "Buy what you want, but don't expect me to help you use it, or solve any problems you have with it."  So, we ended up with a mac.  The first year was a total learning curve for me and there were many times that I wanted to smash my husband's face through the monitor, but I had no choice but to persevere.

Flash Forward to last summer, after having an imac in our home for 2 years, I started taking courses and realized that I needed a laptop.  I am ready to go buy a pc for three or four hundred dollars...then my husband starts in on me again...you need to buy a mac laptop...you are buying a mac...don't waste your money on a pc...you are throwing your money away if you buy a pc...it will be outdated by next summer...so once again I relented (I knew he was right), but I am a cheap ass.  So now we have an imac, macbook pro, two ipod nanos, a first generation ipad, and an ipad 3.  This learning curve has allowed me to become more fluid and flexible with my technical abilities.  I use macs at home and pc's at school, but now I am thinking I will be taking and using my macbook and ipads in my classroom this fall.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, My husband insisted on buying a mac as well. I really didn't care because I'm not up on all the latest technology. I was considering price as well. Since buying the macbook, we also purchased a, iPad and an iPhone. I was skeptical at first, but I'm happy we took the leap.

    ReplyDelete